Winters in central New Jersey and southeastern Pennsylvania can be harsh, but staying warm doesn't have to be costly. With smart, affordable upgrades to your home's heating and insulation, you can enjoy a cozy winter while saving on energy bills. Here’s how Princeton Air can help.
How to Save Energy at Home with Quick & Easy DIY Tips
If you’re too cold at home during the winter months, small, do-it-yourself changes can significantly impact your home's warmth and energy efficiency. Some examples include:
- Using your programmable thermostat the right way: If you have a smart or programmable thermostat, make sure it’s programmed so it isn’t wasting energy heating your home at times when you don’t need it as warm inside, like while you’re away at work during the day or at night.
- Adding door draft stoppers: A simple yet effective way to prevent cold air from sneaking inside and heat from escaping.
- Managing curtains: Open them during the day to take advantage of sunlight for natural warmth and close them at night to keep the heat in.
These tips are cost-effective, but their impact on overall energy savings can be limited. Fortunately, there are more substantial changes you can make that will result in long-lasting benefits and energy savings.
Heating System Upgrades
A well-maintained or new heating system can drastically reduce energy bills and enhance indoor comfort. Consider these options:
- Heating system tune-up: Regular maintenance ensures efficiency and longevity. A qualified HVAC technician can catch and repair small issues before they turn into expensive problems, and ensure that your heating system is running as efficiently as possible.
- Heater replacement: Older systems can be costly to run. Upgrading to an energy efficient heater in your home, like a ducted heat pump, ductless mini-splits, or a high-efficiency furnace, can offer long-term savings.
Although these upgrades require an initial investment, the reduction in energy costs makes them a wise choice for the future, helping to lower electric bills and improve indoor comfort.
Insulation & Air Sealing Upgrades
Many homes in NJ and PA lack proper insulation, leading to higher energy costs. Upgrading your insulation and air sealing can:
- Reduce energy waste: Insulation keeps heat inside your home in the winter, meaning less total energy is needed to keep you comfortable. This saves money and is better for the environment, too!
- Take the stress off your HVAC system: With better insulation, your heater will need to run less frequently, reducing wear and tear, extending the lifespan of your equipment, and lowering energy bills.
- Enable smaller HVAC systems: If you're considering a new HVAC system, improved insulation can result in a smaller, more affordable unit being installed without sacrificing your comfort.
Save on Home Upgrades with Tax Credits & Rebates
Upgrading your home's energy efficiency is more affordable than you think, thanks to various incentives:
- Federal tax credits: Combine insulation, air sealing, and heat pump installation for up to $3,200 in total tax credits.
- Local rebates and financing: Programs through PSEG, Jersey Central Light & Power, and others offer rebates and appealing financing options.
- 0% on-bill repayment: Upgrade now and pay over time, with the cost added to your monthly utility bill.
Making your home more energy efficient is a smart, cost-effective way to stay warm this winter in New Jersey or Pennsylvania. From simple DIY tips to major heating system upgrades and insulation improvements, there are numerous ways to enhance your home's comfort and reduce energy costs. Remember, the sooner you upgrade, the sooner you'll enjoy the benefits of a cozy, energy efficient home!